Thursday, June 28, 2007

Day 7, I might lose it.

Today marks seven days in a row at the library (don't ask, it was a stupid and fatal mistake of shift switching to be nice). I simply can't take another patron asking me:

"When are you due?"
"Is it a boy or a girl?"
"Is this your first?"

First of all, why do these people care? I don't go around asking personal questions of them, although it could go something like:

(Upon seeing a wedding ring:) "Are you married? What does he/she do? Is this your first marriage?"
(Upon smelling a patron's funk:) "Is that cat-box I smell? Do you have a cat? How many? Males or females?"
(Upon spotting a rug:) "How long have you worn a toupee? Does it itch?"

I mean, maybe if the people had a nice thing to say as well, like "Congratulations!" or "You look fantastic!" I wouldn't mind, but they don't! They just feel that they are entitled to know everything about me simply because my belly sticks out and has a baby in it. So I have come up with the solution of making a little sign for the back of my I.D. tag (which hangs at the exact height of my belly):

Due Date: July 30th
Gender: Surprise
First Child: Yes
Thank You.

It's more polite than I should be, but I must maintain my sweet librarian image. Little do they know.

No comments: