Sunday, July 22, 2007

Last day of work!!!

Yes, today is my last day at the library until October. I will be holed up reading HP 7 tomorrow, but after that, I predict that I will spend what baby-free time I have left organizing the closets, napping, and watching HGTV. Thrilling, I know.

So, about HP 7. Oh, for those of you who need it spelled out (I really can't imagine that's any of my readers) that's Harry Potter Book 7. I have only read 3 pages so far, and I am living in fear that I will accidentally hear about how it ends. I have stopped looking at the news online, I am not watching TV or hanging around the children's area of the library, just in case it is being discussed. Two of my co-workers opened the thing up yesterday and read the last chapter. How could they do that??? I feel like I have waited so long, it would be a waste not to get there the good old fashioned way. Another co-worker stayed up until 6am this morning to finish it. I might have to stop back in to work this week so we can discuss.

Yesterday the library, along with every other library in the country I'm sure, hosted an HP Extravaganza with activities and festivities. Kids were coming in dressed in costumes, and there was a magician and a wizard rock band (here's some more info on this music movement). On my way to work I stopped in the grocery store and was in line behind a woman and her son. They were buying the last two copies that the store was selling (I am still floored by books being sold in the grocery store, especially ones without Fabio on the cover), and the boy was reading it in line.

I continue to be amazed by the sensation that this series has caused. Why HP? I think that Rowling is a great storyteller, and I love the story myself, it's just that I love lots of stories, but they haven't done for books and reading what HP has. I read an article (Why we're wild about Harry! Tamra Orr. Writing. Stamford: Oct 2000. Vol. 23, Iss. 2; pg. 4) that gave several reasons for this particular author's success:


  • Humor

  • Rowlings' descriptive power

  • Rowlings' knack for building suspense

  • The fact that the HP books share the qualities of all great fantasies, namely:


    • A wealth of detail

    • Fantasy world is consistent

    • Root the fantasy in reality

    • Emotional truth




I would add that the HP books appeal to a range of ages. Many series are written at the same maturity level throughout. HP grows up in his series, and the storytelling grows up with him. I have often said that although a child in third grade might love HP 1 and 2, around HP 4 the books become more young adult and less juvenile. This makes Harry realistic and interesting for readers of all ages.

I suppose the library stories will be on hold for a few months. I hope you enjoyed this brief look into the always interesting and sometimes frightening world of public librarianship. Stay tuned for more stories starting in October!

No comments: